On 8 May 1952, six days after the coronation of the young King Hussein, the Jordanian government took action to continue restoration of the Dome of the Rock. The 1920s restoration, which replaced the outer wooden dome with an aluminium gold-plated one, had not prevented water from leaking into the interior. The dome was also losing its golden lustre. The newly sworn-in Hashemite King made the maintenance of this symbol of Islamic pride one of his primary duties.
In 1959, the second restoration commenced, funded by Jordan (JD60,000), with some support from other Islamic countries amounting to JD86,000. The second restoration was completed on 6 August 1964, when His Majesty the late King Hussein hosted a celebration in the Al Aqsa Mosque yard.